On those hot Baltimore nights, we all want one thing: an escape from the heat and humidity. And many of us look for that kind of comfort at home, especially after a long day at the office, a daytime run, or a weekend at the beach. But when your air conditioner is loud, it can be difficult to enjoy the cool air—and even make you worry that your AC unit has deeper problems as well. We’ve outlined some of the most common air conditioner noises below and the main reasons for them.
Air Conditioner Noises
When you have a loud air conditioner, the nature of the problem can depend on the type of you noise you hear. While a buzzing sound or the noise of air flow tend to be pretty standard, other sounds can indicate a more significant problem, some more so than others. Air conditioner noises to look out for include:
Causes of a Loud Air Conditioner
The reasons for your noisy air conditioner vary depending on the sound you hear. However, here are some common causes of a loud air conditioner:
- Problems with air ducts. If warm air has found its way into your air ducts or your air ducts need to be cleaned, you may notice popping or cracking noises.
- Blower problems. Typically, blower problems are signified by clanking, popping, or cracking.
- Loose hardware. Clanking noises can signify a problem related to loose hardware.
- Belt problems. If you have an air conditioner that operates using a belt, it can become loose or washed-out, resulting in a screeching sound.
- Low oil levels. When the oil level in your AC compressor becomes low, it can cause a clanking noise.
- Excess pressure. If there is too much pressure over the AC compressor, it can lead to hissing.
- Leaks in the internal valve. When your internal valve leaks, it can also trigger a hissing noise.
Issues related to excess pressure or leakage tend to be considered the most serious—and potentially dangerous as well. And because a hissing sound is usually indicative of one of these problems, it’s also the most problematic noise associated with a loud air conditioner. As soon as you start to notice the hissing sound, it’s important to contact a professional AC repair company in Baltimore that can provide expert care.
Fixing a Noisy Air Conditioner in Maryland
Although hissing tends to be the most dangerous noise associated with a loud air conditioner, the majority of the problems discussed above should be handled by an experienced, well trained AC repair professional. If you attempt a quick fix yourself, it can further damage your air conditioner causing more serious problems in the future.
The more frequently you notice these noises, the more important it becomes to have it inspected. At All Seasons Heating & Cooling, we fix noisy air conditioners throughout the Annapolis, MD area. Contact us today so you can sleep peacefully without the sound of a loud air conditioner.