There are many things that come to mind when you think of your air conditioning unit, such as comfortable, or cool. But a word you certainly don’t want to come to mind is smelly. Strange odors coming from your air conditioning unit can be an extremely unpleasant side effect of a number of issues.
The Most Common Causes of Air Conditioner Odor
- Aged filter.The filter in your air conditioner wasn’t designed to last years, but in fact only a handful (at maximum) of months. If left unchanged, it can create a very musty smell that blows through your home while the unit is running. Not to mention increased utility costs, reduced efficiency, and potential permanent damage!
- Clogged condensate drain.The condensate drain is a line, or pipe, that rids your unit of the humidity it accumulates from the air in your home. That makes it, by nature, a very damp and dank part of your machine, and one that is susceptible to clogging if left alone for too long. A clogged drainage system is one of the very top reasons we encounter funky smelling air conditioners, as a clog allows the growth of mold, mildew and rot.
- Leaking or damaged components.If you note a smell akin to burning gas, it’s quite possible that one of the electric components of your unit have been cracked, damaged or unhinged. They are then quite likely to leak fluids, all of which stink like exhaust when exposed to the inner workings of your air conditioner unit.
- Standing water.A leaking AC unit can create plenty of moisture, which in turn breeds mold and mildew. Stagnant water is a very common issue with older units, or units that have not been serviced frequently enough.
- Burnt wiring.A smell akin to ozone, or burnt wiring is a less common encounter, but should be taken more seriously than any other odor. The cause of this smell is wiring or electrical components shorting and melting, and carries a very serious risk of a fire. If you ever encounter this smell coming from your unit (or anything else in your home, for that matter), contact a professional immediately.
AC Repair in Baltimore
Keeping your air conditioner in top condition is our absolute priority, and our customers’ happiness is always the goal. The professionals at All Seasons have the ability and tech needed to get your unit in top shape, and we boast the most advanced AC repair in Baltimore. Contact us today if you notice any odd smells from your air conditioning unit!