Has your furnace stopped working properly—or turning on altogether? No matter what types of issues you’re experiencing, it’s important to perform furnace troubleshooting right away to assess the extent of your problems. Sometimes it can seem like you need a replacement when in fact the problem is much simpler. Furnace troubleshooting can give you an opportunity to diagnose the issue and might even prevent you from making an unnecessary purchase—or alert you to the fact that you do need a replacement after all.
In order to perform furnace troubleshooting properly, follow these steps:
- Make sure your thermostat is set to heat and above room temperature
- Make sure your furnace and the fan on your thermostat are on
- Look for the Switch Supervisory Unit (SSU) and make sure the switch is turned on
- See if your filter is clogged
- Check the air ducts to see if they’re clogged
- Check the circuit breakers to see if they tripped off
- Turn the breaker off, wait a few minutes, and turn it back on to reset the power
- See if the pilot light is on
- Check if the furnace gas valve is open
You can avoid most furnace problems by regularly cleaning your ducts and having annual service calls completed. However, if you notice your furnace is not functioning as it should, the steps above will help you diagnose the issue—and, in some cases, even solve it! If your unit is still not operating properly after you’ve performed these steps, repairs will need to be completed and you may even need to install a new furnace, depending on the extent of your problems. Just contact your local HVAC company as soon as you’re done troubleshooting to assess the damage and to see what the next step is!
Need Help with Furnace Troubleshooting, Repairs, or Replacements in Maryland?
If you don’t feel comfortable completing furnace troubleshooting yourself or you notice a problem when doing so, it’s time to call in the professionals. At All Seasons Heating & Cooling, our HVAC specialists can help you with routine maintenance to prevent you from ever having a furnace breakdown, or provide you with annual tune-ups and inspections as needed. And if your unit shuts down completely, rest assured that we’ll be by your side then, too, with our reliable furnace repair services or high efficiency furnace replacements.
Contact us today for furnace troubleshooting or repairs in the Baltimore area!